Electrical Vehicle Charging Installation
What are Electrical Vehicle Charging Points?
Essentially you just plug your car battery into the charging point. These points are generally defined by the speed with which they charge your car, from slow up to fast, through to rapid. A slow charge normally takes place overnight, a fast one can do it in just a few hours, whereas a rapid charge is designed to work in about half an hour.
How do Charge Points Work?
As long as you have off-street parking, you can charge your electric car at home by having a dedicated home charger installed. This is usually the most convenient place to charge, particularly when you can plug-in overnight.
- A dedicated home charging point will give you the fastest possible charging speeds, typically between 10 and 30 miles of range per hour plugged in.
- It will have built-in safety features and, if it’s Wi-Fi enabled, access to additional smart features like energy monitoring and over-the-air software updates.
- Most home chargers have a cable attached, which you typically just plug in to your vehicle to start charging.
- Home chargers are also available with a universal ‘Type 2’ socket that accepts a separate cable and plugs into your car in the same way.
How do I qualify for the OLEV Grant?
To qualify for OLEV’s EVHS grant, you need to have purchased an eligible electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle from 1st October 2016 onwards.
- You must have off-street parking.
- You must install an OLEV-approved chargepoint.
- The date of installation must not be more than 4 months ahead of the date of delivery or date the customer becomes the registered driver of the electric vehicle.
- You must use an OLEV-approved chargepoint installer.
Terms and Conditions
Our terms and conditions cover what is included in your standard install and details any additional costs to prevent any unforeseen issues that might arise on the day, which could affect us from installing your unit on the first visit.
Our standard installation package for the Charging unit includes the following: • Fitting of a Charging unit on a brick or plaster wall, or to another suitable permanent structure located in your designated off-street parking area. • Up to 10 metres of cable, run and clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter / distribution board and the unit. • Drilled holes up to 500mm thick if required. • Installation of a Type B 32amp MCB • Fixing of the cable no higher than 1.8m above the ground. • The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the unit.
General Terms and Conditions
Our experts are not able to work in extreme weather conditions. If it is not safe to carry on, our installers will do as much as they can, and we will return at a later date.
We follow BS7671 2008/2015 Amendment 3 Standard Regulations and NICEIC guidelines on Electric Vehicle installations. If we can’t install in line with these rules, then your installation will be paused, and we will quote for the work needed to meet the required standards.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure there is an adequate supply, if upon installation it becomes apparent that the supply isn’t sufficient enough, then no allowances have been made to upgrade or complete any additional works which may be required to enable this.
We have allocated 3 hours for a standard installation, if we cannot complete due to unexpected extra works, we may not be able to complete your installation in the time slot allocated and may have to quote for additional works and reschedule the visit.
The customer or responsible adult of the age of 18 years or over needs to be present on site for the entire duration of the install.
In some circumstances extra works can be agreed and completed in the allocated time. Customer acceptance will be required prior to us continuing or starting the install.
All units installed by ourselves carry a 3-year warranty.
In no event will we accept any liability for any loss, costs or consequential damage due to the use and/or misuse of our hardware or software products except where this is caused by our negligence.
In no event will we accept any liability for any loss, costs or consequential damage due to the aborted installation of a home charge point where it is not safe or practical to install.
Although we aim to include all costs in the quoting stage, this may not always be the case.
Survey The majority of our surveys can be completed remotely through photos being sent to us which is made clear through our introductory email.
On Site surveys are available at a cost of £85, which is fully refundable if you decide to proceed with our quotation and works.
Additional materials (Inc VAT) • Additional 2-way sub board – £90 • Earth Rod (If unit is external or within 5m of outside access) – £50 • Alternative colour option – £30 (2-3 week lead time) • Trench or cable under floorboards – Price subject to distance and ground type • Trunking – £10 per metre • Additional cable over 10m – £5 per metre
Cancellation fee • £85 if cancellation is within 24 hours of booked date and time • £100 if cancellation is made once engineer has arrived on site
Payment terms • 5 Day payment terms • Late payments will incur a charge of £25 per 5 days overdue OLEV
Requirements to be able to qualify:
- You own or lease an electric/hybrid (Plug in) vehicle. If leasing, the terms need to be at least 6 months.
- Your installation address matches the address on your proof of ownership (Your home address)
- You have dedicated private off-street parking.
- Your plug-in vehicle was purchased after the 1st October 2016.
- You have not already claimed the grant for your vehicle.
- You are not exceeding two Charge points per household
For us to claim your OLEV Grant, we require proof of ownership for your electric vehicle (Examples below), your MPAN number which can be found on your electric bill and a form to be completed online on the day of installation.
Proof of ownership documents that are accepted by OLEV:
- Lease agreement, invoice, V5, company letter (Template required) or an order confirmation.
Please note that these documents need your full name and address including details of the make and model of your vehicle.
To check whether your vehicle is eligible for the OLEV Grant, please click the link below.
If your claim is not accepted by OLEV for any of the reasons above, you will be liable to pay the £500 for the Grant within 30 days.
Get in touch today to see how we can help you.